See what Causes and Calms Sensitive Teeth
Are you fed up with facing and fighting teeth sensitivity? You don’t have to live with this lingering pain since there are many ways to soothe your problem. See what’s causing your agony and what will take away the ache.
Teeth sensitivity can be a real pain since you feel a strange stinging sensation in your teeth after eating or drinking anything that’s too hot, cold, sour, or sweet. This occurs because your protective layer of tooth enamel or gum tissue has worn away over time, exposing the underlying layer called dentin that leads to the nerves of the tooth. When this dentin encounters pressure or major changes in temperature, it literally “strikes a nerve” and produces sudden, sharp pain.
The Causes of Teeth Sensitivity
Dental care professionals say that this sensitive layer of dentin becomes exposed for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common causes include:
- Receding gums
- Brushing your teeth too much
- Overzealous brushing that wears away the tooth enamel
- Cracked, chipped, or broken teeth can expose the delicate dentin
- Age-sensitive teeth are more prevalent in adults
- Highly acidic beverages, such as fruit juices and sodas, can erode tooth enamel, revealing the dentin beneath
- Tooth grinding, which can grind away tooth enamel
- Frequent teeth whitening, recent dental work, and some other dental care procedures can result in teeth sensitivity for a short time following the treatment
How to Calm Sensitive Teeth
To get to the true root of your teeth sensitivity, you will need to see a dental professional. Your dentist can determine the source of your struggle and prescribe both in-office and at-home dental care treatments. In the office, your dentist can apply protective treatments or place dental restorations on sensitive teeth to build up your tooth enamel. A dental care professional can also prescribe at-home advice to soothe the sting of sensitive teeth. Many recommend the following regimens:
- To prevent further recession of your enamel and gums, brush and floss gently.
- Use de-sensitizing toothpaste.
- Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Have regular professional check-ups and cleanings to reduce future sensitivity.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Downtown Detroit, call Gentle Dental at Jefferson Avenue today at (313) 879-4769 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Downtown Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental at Jefferson Avenue, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental at Jefferson Avenue.